AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Austin
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...   Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:04 pm

If I didn't ask the Youth what kind of programs they would like to see at the Regional level and also the National level for kids!

So please, if you have any ideas for your area, or nationally, post or PM away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.garretttraining.com
Tash
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:31 am

I would really like to see more clinics/educational seminars provided at the regional level for the Youth members. I realize that could take some time consuming planning. But I think if at least one region gave it a test run, after a couple of times around it could be planned more accurately, and eventually expand onto other regions. Maybe one evening during the progressive barn party, or in that timeslot between the afternoon and evening session, on a day without many afternoon classes? Additionally I know that the trainers are busy at these shows, but I think you could get at least a FEW trainers to donate a few hours of their time at these shows, when there aren’t any classes going on.

Youth are the future of this industry, and our youth need to be educated. I‘ve always thought that the age group between 12 - 14 are when kids are ready to really start being molded into proper horsemen/horsewomen. So although we have some fantastic trainers in this industry with youth riders, I still think it’s important for youth to learn new and different training methods, from multiple trainers who are excellent in their field. Also, not every youth rider can afford to show with a BNT, but something like this could provide them with the opportunity to learn skills from some of the “big shots”.

Even if the trainers are too busy one year, there are other options that could provide information that is equal in importance, or at least in my opinion. Have a couple of grooms come over from a few of the barns, and teach the kids how to turn a horse out properly (ie: Clipping/oiling the face correctly or sanding/polishing feet). Obviously something like that would require a few exhibitors with safe and sane horses to donate their horses for the evening, but I don’t see how that would be a big problem -- a botched clip job on the face is easy enough to fix. Unfortunately I’ve been seeing more and more kids who don’t know how to do even the most basic things involving turn out. I don’t think it’s because the trainers don’t want to teach them, or that the kids don’t want to learn -- it just never occurs to anyone in all the fuss and frenzy going on at the shows.

Anyway, just an idea…hopefully what I’m explaining makes sense, I was a little more than tired when I wrote this. If you have any questions/need further explanation, feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Austin
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:16 pm

I agree. I'm not sure if a horse show is the BEST place for it, but you're right. LOL - I can't even clip a face. And I'm like 3rd in charge at the barn, and first if the trainer is off doing something.

You're right! But sadly Region 3 is a little far off from me. Do you mind if I shoot this off to Amanda Kelly, R3's Youth Director? I AM, however, working on a little something for Region 1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.garretttraining.com
Tash
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Yep, it's fine by me if you shoot it off to Amanda!

That's good to hear you've got something in the works for Region 1. I'm not really on the up-and-up about the happenings going on down there...but I think any region could benefit from a similarish program.

I've got something in the works for youth/younger ammies right now that is (I think) unlike anything we have out there currently. Though I should mention, it's not affliated with the AHA or any club/region I am involved with and/or represent. It should be beneficial for the community once we iron out the wrinkles, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...   

Back to top Go down

I Wouldn't Be Doing My Duty...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1