AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Walk/Trot 10 and under

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drgasspasser
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:26 am

We have just purchased an ex-show horse for my granddaughter. She is a retired 17 year old Half-Arabian CEP mare. My granddaughter is almost 7, has been taking lessons since 4, and doing very nicely. Still, when she shows this year, we plan on her riding with a helmet, not a soft derby. I understand that one of the helmet companies makes a derby version, which looks like a pretty big derby, but still attempts to fit the look. A local Arabian judge told me he would not be able to look past the helmet, even though the rules allow for it, and even though the class is 10 and under, to place her above any child that was wearing a derby. The ribbons don't matter; the experience does, so she will wear a helmet. My question is, how does the average judge look at protective headgear, especially in that age group?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.willowbendfarm.com
Lori Conway
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:07 pm

drgasspasser wrote:
We have just purchased an ex-show horse for my granddaughter. She is a retired 17 year old Half-Arabian CEP mare. My granddaughter is almost 7, has been taking lessons since 4, and doing very nicely. Still, when she shows this year, we plan on her riding with a helmet, not a soft derby. I understand that one of the helmet companies makes a derby version, which looks like a pretty big derby, but still attempts to fit the look. A local Arabian judge told me he would not be able to look past the helmet, even though the rules allow for it, and even though the class is 10 and under, to place her above any child that was wearing a derby. The ribbons don't matter; the experience does, so she will wear a helmet. My question is, how does the average judge look at protective headgear, especially in that age group?

It is legal to wear protective headgear and it should not be frowned upon by a judge. I have a W/T rider that will ride Saddle Seat and he will not be wearing his homburg hat. He is on a new horse and I am not confident in the horse or rider combination as being 100% safe. Until I do, he is wearing a hard hat when he shows.

Now, all things being equal (which they rarely are of course) if I was judging, I would take a harder look at the horse/rider combination and question if this rider is over-mounted or under prepared and is that why they are wearing a hard hat in an English or Western class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drgasspasser
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks for your very honest take on this. I was hoping that a judge would not think that a 7 year old child wearing protective headgear was a lesser rider. I guess that parents (and grandparents) of a 45 pound child riding a 1000 pound animal that is capable of just about any misstep in a fraction of a second, (no matter how gentle and trained), who insist on protective headgear, will just have to deal with the second class status. As an anesthesiologist who has provided emergency medical care for too-many-to-count pediatric patients with head trauma, I am too cautious (chicken?) to allow my granddaughter to ever ride without a helmet. In fact, when anyone with children come to my farm to let their children experience horses, we provide a helmet (we have sizes to fit even the smallest rider) even if the child is just going to have their picture taken on a pony. The parents think the little tiny velvet helmets add to the picture, but I feel that, even under the best conditions, a gentle pony or horse can be unpredictable. I would rather err on the side of safety, as a child, and often the parents, are unaware of the danger. So, my granddaughter will wear a helmet, and protect that precious brain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.willowbendfarm.com
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:45 pm

The statistics FOR helmets is incredibly overwhelming:

Between 12 and 15 million people ride a horse or pony at least once a year.

20% of horse related injuries occur on the ground vs. 80% while riding.

Most injuries occur while pleasure riding.

The most common reason for a trip to the emergency room is for a head injury (17%)

The most common cause of death is due to head injury (60+ %)

A fall from 2 feet can cause permanent brain damage.

A fall from mounted height of 8' can cause a fractured skull and death.

A skull can be shattered at an impact speed of 3 - 5 mph.

An average horse is capable of travelling 30 mph for a short distance.

47% of head injuries happen to people 24 years of age and younger.

60 % of all mounted injuries happen while riding at home or on the farm.

30% of injuries happen at oraganized horse events (shows, clinics, etc.)

9.5% of injuries happen on trails, streets and other public places.

.5% of injuries occur at riding stables where instructors/insurance require that helmets be worn while mounted.

Due to racetrack helmet rules, jockeys suffer a lower percentage of head injuries than do pleasure riders.

Those who survive a brain injury may suffer from epilepsy, intellecutal and/or memory impairment and personality changes. Hospital costs for an acute brain injury may run $25,000 per day. Lifetime extended care can run into millions of dollars. There is not currently funding for rehabilitiation outside of care in a medical facility. An ASTM/SEI approved helmet can be had for less than $50.

(This information is provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Medical Association Committee on Sports Medicine, the Canadian Medical Association and the American Medical Equestrian Association/Safe Riders Foundation, who all recommend that properly fitted and secured helmets be worn on all rides by all horseback riders.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://libertyequinesupply.com
Starling
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 pm

I personally think that all youth riders should be required to wear helmets-regardless of the class. It's like insurance-hope you never need it-but available if you do!! A little shocked that a judge would question why a rider is wearing a helmet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amigo
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Starling wrote:
I personally think that all youth riders should be required to wear helmets-regardless of the class. It's like insurance-hope you never need it-but available if you do!! A little shocked that a judge would question why a rider is wearing a helmet!

I agree. I've been at ringside at Class A shows, when someone moved a chair or a child ran up to the rail and spooked a horse that was passing the spot. There were no bolts or runaways, but the horses did that little sideways jump before resuming their 'cool' again. It's the nature of horses, and even the well trained ones can't always help themselves. Here in Oregon where I live, all 4-Hers must wear helmets or the western helmet hats any time they are in the presence of horses at a 4-H show. If local 4-H can make it a rule, I see no reason why it couldn't be enacted for our Arabian youth. I don't see it as casting suspicions on the horses, but rather, placing appropriate value on the safety of the children.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DDK Arabian Farms
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT

Female
Number of posts : 139
Location : Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/dfarn870/
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 pm

I agree, Saftey over anything else with young children.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Calgaryarabian.com
Amigo
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 pm

DDK Arabian Farms wrote:
I agree, Saftey over anything else with young children.

It just disturbs me, to think that a judge, who, of all people, should have the experience to know what horses are capable of, would hold the wearing of a helmet against a child. Therefore, I say again - make it a rule. The little brain you save, just might be that of someone dear to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcequestrian
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Wed May 13, 2009 2:17 pm

WOW I cant believe a judge would feel that way!! I have yet to show breed shows and right now only show open 4-H and general open shows, where an ASTM/SEI helmet is mandatory!!

I am a mother, instructor, and a judge! and I can say I would LOVE to see it mandatory for ALL breed shows to require under 18 to wear the ASTM/SEI helmet!! are they pretty, well add a pretty cover and yes they can be..but they are FUNCTIONAL, I am sorry if I offend anyone but what parent/grandparent/caretaker etc would not want to protect their child??

OK so I could go on and on...oh and yes I do wear my ASTM/SEI helemt whenever I am around horses period!!!

Peace
Amy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
siiiamese
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm

since they now make helmets that look just like the regular hats for each discipline, whay not simply get what fits in with the discipline you want to show? that eliminates any issues judges might have and let's the person fit in with the others in the class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amigo
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Wed May 13, 2009 8:46 pm

siiiamese wrote:
since they now make helmets that look just like the regular hats for each discipline, whay not simply get what fits in with the discipline you want to show? that eliminates any issues judges might have and let's the person fit in with the others in the class.

Well, they don't look quite the same - the additional bulk of the helmet makes the western hats stick out as helmet-hats. I'm not certain if they make them for the saddleseat hats, but the same situation would apply if they do. And a judge will easily spot that. But your point is well-taken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   Thu May 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Troxel does make a derby helmet as well as the "stetson" helmet. They do tend to have a bigger profile to cover the helmet. The MSRP on either one of them is $99.95 to $119.95 so they aren't too hateful pricewise. The unfortunate part is that they are only available in black, black or black and there is a waiting list for them from the manufacturer. If you go shopping for one go with measurements in hand - measure around the head on a level line just above the ears - these hats do not have any kind of adjustable fit, you have to order a specific size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://libertyequinesupply.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walk/Trot 10 and under   

Back to top Go down

Walk/Trot 10 and under
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1