AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Diamond in the Ruff

Go down 
+2
Ranyiah_86
DDK Arabian Farms
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DDK Arabian Farms
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
DDK Arabian Farms

Female
Number of posts : 139
Location : Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada https://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/dfarn870/
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Diamond in the Ruff Empty
PostSubject: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 2:40 am

Just wanted to tell everyone that you can find a "Diamond in the Ruff" and take them to the top. Without breaking the bank.

Last year I sold my experienced show horses. "Hai Waive+" Canadian Nationals top 10 in Show Hack AAOTR, Regional Champ in Showhack, Costume and Country. When he turned 13 I decided to turn him into a western horse because of the high head and knee action required. He manages to obtain numerous top 5's in Western and Trail.
This horse had a story behind him. Was bought in an aution in Arizona when he was two months, for $35.00. His mother when to a different home and he was seperated that day from her. He went to Alberta and lived with warmbloods for two year. I then bought him from his first owner when he was two. He was wild and untrained. I watched him perform a really nice trot on the spot while being tied up to a post. I trained him and showed him to his "Legion of Honor Award". This was a big challenge for me. Working full time and going to school. It payed off in the long run. It sure felt good beating other horses in the ring that I knew cost $30,000. or more. He was shown in the "Calgary Stampede Parade" (in costume) "Spruce Meadows" demos of the breeds and did a course with the Calgary City Police Service. At the "Calgary City Police" mounted unti location. I took him off the trailer I could hear other say "oh it is an arab". Well he turned out to be first in his class. For the final exam we had to go down a shoot with 6 officers throwing footballs, flares, flags and noise makers. There was a bridge he had to cross with a dummy rocking in a chair beside it. Motor bikes with light and sirens on, dogs on leashes barking and a 8 foot ball (looked like a beach ball) he had to push with his chest.
I retired him at age 18 and sold him back to his original owner for the same price. He will be turning 21 this year.

Two years ago is the last time I showed. That was a great year. My horses were not ready to show. Showed a friends horse "XXX Passing Fancy" to two Canadian National top 10 placings in Sport Horse Hunter Under Saddle open and Sport Horse Show Hack Open third on the judges cards.
I have two horses now ready for this year. One western and one hunter. KJR Prospect Avenue (offered for sale) and KJR Piper. Full brother and sister, chestnut with 4 white socks and both have blazes- Both by Prixtender who is by Padron.
I look forward to meeting new arabian owners and members of the "Ammy Army". In the arab shows. Deb
Back to top Go down
http://www.Calgaryarabian.com
Ranyiah_86
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
Ranyiah_86

Female
Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Congrats your story gave me hope about my mare. I only got her for $300.
Back to top Go down
westernarabs
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
westernarabs

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 12:59 pm

If you can look past some of the rough edges on horses, there are some really great ones out there that are "throw aways". I bought an Appy colt at 6 months of age. He was a solid palomino, small, underweight, and not wanted because he wasn't colored. I could see under all that rough worm fuzz a nice horse. He was Joker 3 Bars and Poco Bueno bred. His dam was a grandaughter of Poco Bueno. He was pretty sick, too. The colt they put him in with was twice his size and was taking all the food. "Goldie" was not getting the food he needed and was in serious trouble. I insisted they take him to the vet that afternoon because he just didn't seem right. They did, bless them, and he was on the verge of not making it another 24 hours! I made an offer on him for $300 and they took it. Eighteen months later, I had him at his first show, a walk/jog western class which he won hands down, his previous owners were there. The husband watched us and commeneted on how good he looked, then turned to his wife and said, "We sold the wrong one!". Goldie is now 17 years old and has won numerous western pleasure classes at the open shows which can be difficult. He is as steady as a rock and has been my ideal western horse all these years. And yes, I've been offered blank checks for him and turned them all down because he is my special "kid". He will spend his life in my barn.

So any time you find that diamond in the rough, don't pass them up! You have to have vision and see under the rough exteriors some of them have. See the heart that really lives in there and you'll be rewarded a hundred times over.

Congrats on finding those, yourself!!!

Mary S.
Back to top Go down
DELGADO
GENERAL OF THE ARMY
GENERAL OF THE ARMY
DELGADO

Male
Number of posts : 1031
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 3:03 am

I bought a "cull" from North Arabians (With a breeding to Sir Fames) and a couple of months later WON NorCal (yearling filly) and went Reserve Champion Jr. Filly. Her next show, SCOTTSDALE as a two year old, she went 4th out of 29.
Back to top Go down
dave
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 am

Del,

No culls. I hate that word. But I sure love it when a "cull" kicks butt.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DELGADO
GENERAL OF THE ARMY
GENERAL OF THE ARMY
DELGADO

Male
Number of posts : 1031
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 3:46 pm

LOL...Dave it is an equine term. I think the definition of a "cull" that goes on to compete very well is a "sales mistake" on the part of the breeder:)
Back to top Go down
westernarabs
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
westernarabs

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Whole heartedly agree, Del! I bought a "cull", Appy, solid palomino, sickly, yearling, that turned into my unbeatable western pleasure horse. Breeders saw him compete as a 2 year old and made the comment, "We sold the wrong horse"! Still have him, best horse I've had to ride in years. I have been offered blank checks for him at shows, but he's not for sale!!LOL

I've found that you just have to look deep beyond the rough hair, maybe low weight, etc. to see what they could be and then go for it. There are lots of them out there that turn into fantastic compeitors or just plain riding horses that make the breeders or previous owners see they made a "sales mistake".

Mary S.
Back to top Go down
DDK Arabian Farms
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
DDK Arabian Farms

Female
Number of posts : 139
Location : Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada https://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/dfarn870/
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories with me. Doesn't it feel great to show a horse that nobody wanted and in the end lots of people, wish they had the chance to own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Calgaryarabian.com
MMC
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
MMC

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:51 am

These stories are always so inspirational and should be promoted more to prove it can be done! We have two or three stories about horses where either other trainers or breeders gave up on them, but we believed in them, and they went on to major accomplishments...it's the BEST feeling in the world. Congrats to everyone involved on your success with your hidden superstars!
Back to top Go down
http://www.MistikalMarketingCentre.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diamond in the Ruff   Diamond in the Ruff Empty

Back to top Go down

Diamond in the Ruff
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS :: GENERAL FORUMS :: SHOW SUCCESS STORIES-
Jump to: