AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pads

Go down 
+5
KAHanson
dave
newzew
siiiamese
Kira
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kira
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Kira

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Pads   Pads EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 7:37 pm

On another board there is once again photos of extreme shoeing with pad stacks. It invariably comes around to people saying "I don't like doing it, but I have to if I want to be competitive". So, my question is, can one compete in the SS division, especially CEP, with a flat shod horse? Many people state that the pads don't change motion, but I have gotten so I can pick out the padded horses almost immediately. Can a well trained, well mannered horse that meets all the specs of the class do well without long toes, pads and the enhanced motion?
Back to top Go down
siiiamese
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm

if the horse has the same amount of motion without the pads, it should do fine. if it does not perform as well as the padded ones, then it will not
Back to top Go down
Kira
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Kira

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 pm

But does the amount of motion always equate performing well? Can a horse that otherwise performs as well, but doesn't have that particular type of motion do well? That is my question. Does it all come down to that certain way of moving? What about manners, cadence, etc? All other things being equal, will the padded, long toed movement necessarily win?
Back to top Go down
siiiamese
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm

if the horse doesn't have the motion to do the division, it will not win (IMO). judges will generally place the better moving horse and forgive some mistakes in manners over one without the needed motion.
Back to top Go down
Kira
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Kira

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyFri May 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Bummer. I hate the pads, and my mare would be a nice country horse, but she doesn't have that kind of motion. think I'll give it a try anyway.
Back to top Go down
siiiamese
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyFri May 01, 2009 6:42 pm

the thing is, there are lots of horses who do not need the excessive pads to do really welll ................. they have plenty of motion with regular shoes on. I have a HA Park horse who had really crumbly feet when I got her - - so she had to work & show in just regular shoes (the others would fly off every week costing a fortune and continually tearing off bits of hoof). the mare does very well - - but does have the motion and athletic ability to do so. I go with the idea that the horse will tell you which division they really fit into.....rather then force them into one that they are not suited for and cannot do well in. (actually, I think they know when they do good and I do not want to have them embarrassed if they cannot compete)
Back to top Go down
Kira
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Kira

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyFri May 01, 2009 10:58 pm

I'd still like to hear the judges opinion on whether they'd place a horse that is 'a little different' than all the rest.
Back to top Go down
newzew
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
newzew

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Pads? What about shoes in general?   Pads EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:12 am

I have an unshod mare with nice feet, who I'm planning on showing in Hunter Pleasure classes. Am I going to get dinged for going barefoot?
Back to top Go down
dave
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:36 am

I detest pads - show ring stupidity to which many of us feel we must conform to in order to be competitive. If your mare has good feet don't put shoes on her let alone pads. Horses are better of barefoot. If you really think you must use pads, I suggest that you leave main ring and go to sport horse. I think generally sport horse judges don't like our pads. They'd rather see a barefoot or plain shod horse. If I were a judge, I'd be very impressed with a barefoot horse with good feet - large hooves with good angles and a nice balance between heal and toe.

I've wondered if my filly was ever penalized in halter for being barefoot. Some trainers even shoe yearlings.

I hope I've made it clear how I feel about pads. Pads are mostly fashionable stupidity in a dumbed down show ring. There are some horses that need them but most don't.

Dave
Back to top Go down
KAHanson
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
KAHanson

Female
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Unfortunately, showing English in this day and age requires far more motion than 20 years ago. If you look at Park horses past, they wouldn't even be able to compete in CEP today. To answer your question, as someone who's owned and showed national level English horses, most judges, all things equal, will give the class to the horse with the "rounder" motion which in general means the horse with pads. Most CEP horses today don't look like much of a pleasure to ride, but as the divisions have envolved, Park horses have in general become freaks of nature and you're lucky to get a class with one or two horses in it. English Pleasure are the Park horses of old, and CEP are the old English, leaving the old CEP to compete in Hunter and show hack and western. It's so sad.

So, yes, I believe to be competitive in CEP, one needs to enhance with pads and shoes if one plans to win. A flat moving horse isn't going to do as well.
Back to top Go down
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 pm

To skew competition levels back to their proper divisions I would like to see hunter, WP and CEP horses flat shod with only 1 protective, non or mimimally wedged, pad. Only allow the stacks for EP and Park. CEP rules still read that extreme motion is to be penalized. While I agree that extreme motion is a little hard to define due to the varied talents of different individuals, we shouldn't be shoeing FOR it. I also realize that the shoeing rules were changed for the horse's protection, but like anything else those rules are being pushed to the extreme.
Back to top Go down
http://libertyequinesupply.com
KAHanson
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
KAHanson

Female
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 11:37 pm

I completely and totally agree. A CEP horse, western, and hunter should be flat shod, or with a protective pad. No wedges, no weight, etc. The divisions have changed so much over the years that it's almost impossible to achieve the Park and EP divisions. IT's sad because it is so beautiful to watch and fun to ride!
Back to top Go down
Ranyiah_86
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
Ranyiah_86

Female
Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 12:14 am

I was wondering, since I'm planning on showing halter, if I should put shoes on my mare. She has a lovely flat kneed movement for riding and its how she moves. SHould I worry about it at all? I'm not planning on showing her under saddle yet.
Back to top Go down
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I don't think that I would worry about it. If you want to shoe for the mare's protection - fine and dandy. Otherwise, while a super moving horse is going to get extra looks, most halter horses generally are not extravagant movers. If you shoe and go beyond the basics, you need to begin to get careful. From past Morgan experience, the more stuff you load onto the feet, the more "foot path" (travel) abberations you begin to see, and halter, more than performance is where you will get dinged for them.
Back to top Go down
http://libertyequinesupply.com
silverzaanif
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 am

the thing i find bizzare is that i am from england and i have NRVER seen anything that resembled a show hunter, sports horse or hack, let alone an arab , move anything even remotely like the horses in classes of the same name in the US , I think it goes to show how fashion can dictate in the show ring, if a horse that moved like the horses with pads do came into an english ring over here you would be stared at for all the wrong reasons!!!

here's a fun game , why dont you find some pics of horses from the US in each class and i'll find some from he equivilent class in the uk and we can compare pics?
Back to top Go down
silverzaanif
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:52 am

Pads 1149566

this is what i would call a hunter. And he is not a heavy weight hunter, he would be middle/show hunter over here as opposed to a working hunter that jumps.

how do i make pictures work .....?
Back to top Go down
Angel
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:50 pm

I think park and ep look almost alike. I had a cep mare that showed competatively 20yrs ago and now she might of been a nice hunter
Back to top Go down
silverzaanif
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

[img]Pads Heavyweight-hunter1[/img]

yay , worked out the pics! Very Happy
above is what i would call a hunter....

and below a show hunter...

[img]Pads Diamondwhite1[/img]

no high stepping knees and hocks , infact that would be very frowned upon!!

how dose this compare to stateside hunters?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pads   Pads Empty

Back to top Go down

Pads
Page 1 of 1