AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AHA Halter Scoring System

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dave
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-01-07

AHA Halter Scoring System Empty
PostSubject: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Last year, two young California horses, Del's colt Premo and my filly Zofia were the poster children for the scoring system on another forum. I started the thread and Del jumped in later. Our horses were supported by some and trashed by others. I haven't shown in halter this year and I was wondering how things are going with the new system. I you've shown in halter this year, please post some comments. What I'm really interest in is how ammys are doing both in ammy and open halter.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Natalie Angstadt
COLONEL
COLONEL
Natalie Angstadt

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 am

I have shown under the halter card. Where my colt is a regional champion in the sport horse in hand discipline, he can't seem to get recognized as such in halter. I'm specifically referring to the common categories such as legs and movement. My colt doesn't prace or bounce or short-stride when we trot in and away from the judges. He puts his head down and moves out (perhaps a little too boring for their taste?).
Back to top Go down
http://www.nnarabians.com
dave
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Male

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Natalie,

I have no idea what kind of movement the judges are looking for in halter. I see many handlers showing horses with their heads up in the air when they trot. I assume this is to get more knee action. The problem with this is that the hocks don't engage. Maybe the judges are looking for EP movement.

My filly is a very good mover but judges have given very poor moving horses better movement scores. Also, I suspect that your colt has better hock action when he lowers his head.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Natalie Angstadt
COLONEL
COLONEL
Natalie Angstadt

Female

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Dave, you are right about the hock action with a lower head. Check out this photo:

AHA Halter Scoring System Trot_c10

I like a horse that extends their trot and impulses and thrusts from the hind end. Since I now primarily trail ride, I work for a big trot with my horses.
Back to top Go down
dave
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Male

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 am

Natalie,

Sport horse judges would like this trot. I'm not so sure about main ring. I wish I knew what they're looking for.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Natalie Angstadt
COLONEL
COLONEL
Natalie Angstadt

Female

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

I've been fortunate enough to find my stallion's niche in the Sport Horse world. And with like humans, some are ballet dancers, some are swimmers and some are basketball players. All are atheletes in their own regards. I enjoy showing halter, even tho we don't place well. I do it for myself and don't take to heart the criticisms. We all have to understand that even with the scorecard it does not mean that the horse will get scores matching, in my situation, what they receive in SHIH. What the judge is initially looking for will shape the way they observe and critique all aspects of the score card categories.
Back to top Go down
Shahnara
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
Shahnara

Female
Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyTue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Natalie, that colt is beautiful! how old is he & have you bred him yet?
Back to top Go down
aandmequestrian
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
aandmequestrian

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 11:09 am

I believe that judges generally look for free flowing movement, and some will appreciate a bigger english type trot, but others not so much. Most often judges are watching for signs of lameness or short choppy strides that reflect a straight shoulder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AHA Halter Scoring System   AHA Halter Scoring System Empty

Back to top Go down

AHA Halter Scoring System
Page 1 of 1