AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What A Week!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
westernarabs
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
westernarabs

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2009-01-21

What A Week! Empty
PostSubject: What A Week!   What A Week! EmptyMon May 18, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm getting 4 of my horses shipped down from Fallon, NV to Tolleson, AZ this week. Nothing has gone as planned! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad First the difficulty of getting the health certs re-done as they had expired, then getting the Brand Inspector out.... all done at the last possible moment before my 78 year old dad came to haul them for me. Then there was the issue of a big enough trailer which turned out to be smaller than we had anticipated. It's an older stock combo that is designed to haul 4, 2 side by side and an open stall in the back, but they better be small horses. I have one that is for sure not small!! My Russian bred, El Kasaka, mare, Seleeka. She's also 24 years old and has been in some sort of terrible accident during her life and has very banged and scared up legs before I acquired her. The horses were loaded with my Appy and my grandson's gelding in the side by side and then the 2 mares in the back compartment. Tight squeeze all the way around.

Long story short....Seleeka didn't make the trip well to Las Vegas for her lay over at my dad's house. She went down in the trailer, swooping places with my Egyptian mare. She acted colicky when they unloaded her and in the process of rolling around in the box stall, got her right hind leg under the fencing. Took 4 people to get her out and then of course the vet work to get her poor tummy relaxed. We believe that her old legs hurt so bad from the cramped quarters in the trailer that she just couldn't take it any more and of course that led to colic.

As of this morning, she is much better. Back to eating and drinking and shows no signs of having anymore colic issues. Her leg is a sore situation so we are giving her about a 5 day rest before attempting to finish the haul to Tolleson, which is another 5 to 6 hour hour. It was a 6 hour haul from Fallon (which is 60 outside of Reno). We have decided to use a different trailer that gives her more room and hopefully she will be able to stand the whole trip without her legs giving out.

I was so looking forward to having my guys home with me after a year of no horses but this has really been tough to deal with. So I'm asking for prayers from all you ammies out there, that I don't have any more problems getting this old lady home. I'll keep you all posted on the progress as we head out again on Saturday to have them home by that afternoon.

Mary S.
Back to top Go down
westernarabs
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
westernarabs

Female

What A Week! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What A Week!   What A Week! EmptyThu May 21, 2009 11:37 am

Heading out tomorrow morning at 5:00 for Vegas. The plan is to load up in a big 4 horse LQ trailer to make it more comfortable for Seleeka and head out at 1:00 in the morning to beat the heat and traffic issues. Hopefully she will make the trip with less discomfort and with frequent stops, we should be back in Tolleson no later than 10:00 in the morning.

I'll let you all know when I get back how we all did! Can't WAIT to get my guys home!!!!

Mary S.
Back to top Go down
westernarabs
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
westernarabs

Female

What A Week! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What A Week!   What A Week! EmptyMon May 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Yay! My herd is home!!!

Drove to Vegas from Tolleson Friday morning. Had to help doctor the one mare's leg that fell under the wall in the barn. Badly swollen, but with some bute and time out in the arena with her buds, the swelling was totally gone in the wee hours of the morning when whe loaded up to haul home.

My dad used a very large 4 horse and the old mare road very comfortably the rest of the way. No inccidents of any kind. We loaded up at 2 in the morning and made it to home at around 9:00. They were in great shape and seemed happy to be out in on a grass pasture again.

Still doctoring the leg on Seleeka, but it's healing. It will leave a big scar, but it will add to the others she already has. She's not lame and is eating up a storm, so I know I have the pain under control.

So my guys are here and I'm so happy and content now!LOL Back in the saddle again.

Mary S.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What A Week! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What A Week!   What A Week! Empty

Back to top Go down

What A Week!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS :: GENERAL FORUMS :: ODDS & ENDS-
Jump to: