AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
desertlily
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
desertlily

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-12

Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... Empty
PostSubject: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 12:15 am

Hello everyone. My name is Kristin. I own and operate Desert Lily Arabians. ( www.dlarabs.com ) We are a new small breeder of straight egyptian arabians. I bought my first mare in 2006. I have an outstanding colt born this year. I joined this site to learn about training my colt myself. I would like to show him at halter next year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dlarabs.com
Pam Gault
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Pam Gault

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 am

Welcome. Check out Dimitri's posting in the halter training section. It has helped me tremendously!!!
Back to top Go down
Acorn-Arabians
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Acorn-Arabians

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 12:10 pm

I second that - check out the training lessons from Dimitri - I have been using it and it is so good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Acorn-Arabians.com
desertlily
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
desertlily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Dimitri? I only saw the ones by Delgado. They sound really good though. I just adore my colt. He has the sweetest temperament. He learns quickly too. I thought it would be years before I bred any babies nice enough to show. I don't care about winning either. Hes going to be kept in tact and I think he deserves the chance to be seen. He is just six months old and I have had breeding reservation requests already Smile I'm really excited for him!

I wanted to train him myself because too many horses are ruined by trainers. Its just too big a risk in my opinion. I'm not too worried about teaching him myself. As long as I have good step by step instructions. My biggest fear is the conditioning and grooming involved. I'm afraid of not looking polished enough or even worse.. looking like a lawn mover clipped my colt lol!
Back to top Go down
Pam Gault
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Pam Gault

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:11 pm

The halter lessons are from Dimitri Delgado. They are really awesome and helped me alot. Glad you are going to train you own colt. I'm going through the trying to get my mare conditioned for National halter. Right now I feel she is too fat so I'm having to cut back on her hay and work her more. It is hard to do. Also I'm rubber currying her every morning and night. I don't want to body clip so I'm trying to get her coat looking fantastic. Like I say hard work!
Back to top Go down
desertlily
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
desertlily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Oh I didn't know his first name lol! So you dont actually have to clip to show?
Back to top Go down
tjmitcham
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
tjmitcham

Female
Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Clipping threads change from region or year to year is something I saw back in the 70's. Elbow grease is the only thing that stayed the same. The farms and trainers I worked for back then kept records on what different judges liked and wanted to see. I don't know if that is still the case. Best advise I can give you is attend as many local shows you can now and check out every horse that is showing. Example: A couple of years when we clipped the tip of the ears, we left a diamond of longer hair to help give that curve in look. I don't know what little tricks are being done now.
Back to top Go down
desertlily
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
desertlily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Oh ok Thanks for the info. Thankfully I have plenty of time to prepare that part Smile I think I may try to get a local trainer out next spring to walk me through my first clip. I used to groom dogs but a horse is way bigger Smile ! His mother gets a very very short summer coat and I don't think she would ever need clipped. So I don't know what his coat will be like next spring. Its nice and short now so I guess we'll see Smile
Back to top Go down
tjmitcham
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
tjmitcham

Female
Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:39 am

I thought we were talking mane, feet, and face clipping. But guess now you are talking about body clipping. Elbow grease grooming, winter blankets, and lamps can help keep your horse's hair coat from coming in thick thus making it easier to get your horse ready for halter classes at earlier spring shows. These things also make it easier (faster) to cool your horse after workout/conditioning.

When I was a arabian, saddlebred, and walkinghorse groom years ago, we did not have to body clip any of show horses. We spent a solid hour before and after each workout/conditioning session currying, stiff brush, and soft brush grooming on every one of the show horses. We put blankets on starting with sheets then light blankets, then going heavier ones as temps dropped more and more below 70 degrees. Daylights lamps were set on timers when the days started getting shorter to keep the horses in summer time mode hair growth.

This is from the 70's in north Texas. I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited by tjmitcham on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling / context)
Back to top Go down
desertlily
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
desertlily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Oh thanks! Yes its helpful! Yeah I see a lot of people body clip. I understand the benefits but I was never sure if it was required. I don't mind elbow grease. I think as long as he doesn't look fuzzy I might just leave the body and do the face and feet.

Having never done any of this before and never showing. Its an intimidating process! I think it will be worth the time and effort though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...   Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello! Straight Egyptian Breeder...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS :: ADMINISTRATIVE FORUMS :: NEW MEMBER'S PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELVES-
Jump to: