AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Unkown horse tack

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kdj
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Unkown horse tack Empty
PostSubject: Unkown horse tack   Unkown horse tack EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 8:17 pm

This is a piece of horse tack which fits over a horse's entire
face. It was bought over 35 years ago, and sold as an antique in Tehran. Things I would like to know are:
where it was made, who made it, what breed of horse wore it, and how old it is. Someone suggested Arabians and told me about this site.
This is 16 inches across the top, 10 inches down the
sides, the thin leather strips are 12 inches long. The metal circles all over the front of it, appear to be
brass. They are attached with leather. Two of the larger circles, in the top two outer corners have two stars each, embossed, on them.
The back side is braided over all. The places for the
horse's eyes to look through are braided. The 1 inch
wide leather strip that travels down the nose has the
brass circles and a white leather tassel at the end.
There is a strap with a buckle that goes behind the
ears and another for under the head.

Unkown horse tack 1

Unkown horse tack 3

Unkown horse tack 2

I will greatly appreciate your knowledge of this
piece. Don't know if my pictures are on here, but I can edit and try again if not.
Thank you very much.

kdj

Last edited by kdj on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add pictures)
Back to top Go down
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Unkown horse tack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unkown horse tack   Unkown horse tack EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi,
Out of curiosity I went cruising through some old equestrian history books....I found a pic of an old painting of horses from India and/or Pakistan wearing something similar. In the painting it appeared to be some type of parade or travel attire...presumably the laces would keep flies away....the eye cover (?) would similarly protect the eyes from the sun and/or insects, both of which can do lots of damage. As far as who made it and when - do you live near any universities that might have middle eastern studies, or better yet, a museum curator? Another place to try would be the Museum of the Horse at the Kentucky Horse Park - they have both an early history section and an Arabian Horse wing (though I suspect that this was not an item for Arabians).
Back to top Go down
http://libertyequinesupply.com
kdj
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Unkown horse tack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unkown horse tack   Unkown horse tack EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:28 pm

audie,
Thanks so much! I will check out everything you suggested!
I have been in touch with several museums, both in the US and Europe but there were no curators that have seen this.
Again thank you!
kdj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Unkown horse tack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unkown horse tack   Unkown horse tack Empty

Back to top Go down

Unkown horse tack
Page 1 of 1