AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!

Go down 
+2
RZugg
Lovemycrabbet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lovemycrabbet
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Lovemycrabbet

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! Empty
PostSubject: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey Army folks,

I hope someone on here is into vintage tack. Here's the story with this halter. I've had this for 10-15 years, forget where or from whom I got it from and used it for halter practice, personally I always liked it better than any available "work" halters and liked it more than my show halters. Just seemed to get better results in it. I digress...I was strolling around on ebay recently and noticed some very vintage kangaroo romels and the serious price on them. And I said wow those (design wise) look alot like my halter. Well havent been doing much in halter lately, but recenty been sprucing up his showmanship skills. Decided to bring the work halter home and clean it, as it honestly has not had a good cleaning in ages. I always thought it was just stainless ferrules on it, since none of it ever rusted....except the chain.

Folks was I ever surprised. All ferrules on the halter and lead were sterling silver. The chain loops are silver, just not sterling (guessing it would bend to easy if they were). The buckle was also sterling. I am stunned at how stunning it is (needless to say its no longer going to be a work halter). Its rolled leather with a sterling horseshoe buckle at the poll, 5 sterling ferrules up each side of the cheeks, 6 sterling ferrules on the lead, there are designs engraved into the ferrules but my pics just don't pick them up or do them and the halter justice. I am guessing this is possibly kangaroo leather, as it has stayed super supple for all this time.

The pictures do not do it justice and sorry my boy doesn't care for halter anymore...as you will be able to tell in the pics by his looks, LOL. Also don't mind his untrimmed whiskers and mohawk, I don't trim in between shows.

Pics link: Vintage halter

If anyone can help me out I would love it!

Last edited by Lovemycrabbet on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RZugg
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
RZugg

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 8:54 pm

I don't know anything about the halter but it is GORGEOUS!
If it ever needs a new home.... you can send it to me!
Back to top Go down
Lovemycrabbet
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Lovemycrabbet

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Yes it is Gorgeous. Makes me feel bad that I never decided to clean it up any sooner. It pretty much came to me in its dirty condition. I'll pawn it off to being young when I got it and not "knowing" quality tack as well as I do now, even though this eluded me for years. But I really do hope to find some sort of info, as I was unable to find a makers mark. I believe all the silver including the chain ring are hand tooled...doesnt have a machine like finish at all.

If I do ever let it go,
I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
RZugg
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
RZugg

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Smile I hope someone here can help you find out about it. It would be interesting to know where it was made! I love finding old things and learning about the history of it. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Natalie Angstadt
COLONEL
COLONEL
Natalie Angstadt

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 am

This halter looks very similiar to a bridle that I have seen Ferzon wearing in an old photo.

See if you can browse here and you will see his photo.
Azraff/Ferzon group
Back to top Go down
http://www.nnarabians.com
Lovemycrabbet
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Lovemycrabbet

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 8:05 am

Hey Natalie,

Yes it is very similar. I actually had a bridle very similar to the one he is wearing too. But the leather was no where near the quality of this halter. I actually had to throw away the bridle because the leather couldn't be saved.

Atleast this can help date this a little. I'm actually at a show right now and I'm hoping someone may notice it when my boy is in showmanship and give me an idea too.
Back to top Go down
KAHanson
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
KAHanson

Female
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 am

I used to show with kangaroo rommels and bridle. I'll ask the owner of them where she got them. They're beyond gorgeous and well made! And fetch a super hefty price!
Back to top Go down
McShaneArabians
BRIGADIER GENERAL
BRIGADIER GENERAL
McShaneArabians

Female
Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 1:19 am

I would say it's from the 70s...it seems typical of photos I've seen from that era?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.McShaneArabians.com
foxfire
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 1:42 pm

I can't give you any information about it, but it is lovely!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!   Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter! Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone into Vintage Tack...need help identifying a halter!
Page 1 of 1