AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

drlaura from region 13 checking in

Go down 
+6
McShaneArabians
clhoosier
risingsmokeranch
ayrabz
Kaitlyn
drlaura
10 posters
AuthorMessage
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-12-26

drlaura from region 13 checking in Empty
PostSubject: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 12:40 am

Hi, I'm Laura from MI,
I have a HA coming 3yo filly and I co-own a 10 mo PB colt.

I totally winged it on my own training my filly for halter as "something to do with her until she's big enough to ride, but we'll never be competitive". Then we actually beat our first horse this year (we didn't win that day but we weren't last!!! cheers ), and I got totally hooked. We finished up as Reg 13 HA Halter HOTY Shocked (okay there wasn't that much competition, but that's besides the point).

No now I've comitted to teaching to her do it "The right way". Or at least I can now see why I could never get a good neck on her (didn't know how to get her to back off, and I was TOTALLY that schmuck standing right in thier horses face). SO that's our project for the winter (though she did get lightly started under saddle, so I suppose I hmay have to ride her too Smile

Once request though, can we have pink cammo on our stall?!? Wink

Last edited by drlaura on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.midmichiganequine.com
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 12:50 am

My attempt at posting a pic.....
drlaura from region 13 checking in Affie_11
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 am

OMG, she was fat..... Shocked pig
Back to top Go down
Kaitlyn
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
Kaitlyn

Female
Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 1:59 am

Welcome Laura! Glad you got hooked on showing by training on your own, that's really cool! I love your filly, how's she bred?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kaitlyn-bunifa
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Her mom is older Egyptian/Crabbet? (lots of Ghalii, some Raffles, I'm not great at bloodlines yet). Her sire is a Dutch Warmblood (an Art Deco son).
Back to top Go down
ayrabz
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Yes, Welcome!!
Congrats on your great work with her.
Can't help but comment, though....with her breeding, why halter vs. Sport Horse in Hand??? She's bred to be a natural at it!

A
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 3:33 pm

We do SHIH too. That was what I intended to do with her(and SHUS), but we did some main ring halter as a baby because all the SHIH classes around her were 2yr & up.

Then, since she kind of already knew how to do MR halter I started showing her in both at the shows because if I'm going to work to get that mauch white looking white, we're going in more than one class!!!! Smile (When I said I was hoping for "a little color" that is NOT what I meant Razz )

She did pretty well in SHIH too (her attention span is a little short though, so she has a hard time staying relaxed for 2 laps around the triangle, but we're getting there). I've found my MR halter work really helps get control of her boy and I can place her feet and move her around to help show her off better without her looking "posed". For example: she was going thru this "toe-out" phase while she was growing this year, not bad, but a bit because she grew so much but her chest hadn't filled out. You only really noticed it when she stood mor eor less square and you were looking from the front. In MR I can "stretch" her front feet a bit and it spun them in a tad and made the toe-out go away. In SHIH I couldn't do that, so I set her up normal while they viewed her from the side, and walked around, then when they started to come around the front I gave her the cue to start to walk her front feet out. It looked to the judge like she was just fidgeting, and as the judge crossed back to the side I backed her front legs back up into a "normal" stance. We got an 8 on her legs!!! cheers I was so proud of myself, i felt like a sneaky BNT Wink
Back to top Go down
risingsmokeranch
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 3:37 pm

drlaura from region 13 checking in Hellbo11Im from MI to! I just got my colt! Heres his pic! Im looking to show, once I get him trained!
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 pm

I just found a baby pic of my girl on my computer. Awwwww, she was so sweet and innocent back then! Smile

Where did I go wrong?!? LOL
https://i.servimg.com/u/f63/13/43/52/41/lauraa11.jpg
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm

drlaura from region 13 checking in Lauraa11
That better, I'm still figuring out the pics thing
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Yea!!! I'm a corporal bounce cheers Laughing Very Happy Smile Razz
Back to top Go down
clhoosier
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:21 pm

drlaura wrote:
drlaura from region 13 checking in Lauraa11
That better, I'm still figuring out the pics thing

How old was she in that picture? She looks so petite!
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm

She was 3 months old. She wasn't weaned yet, but I showed her in the weanling class because her mother was worse at the show than Affie was. So mom got a little "happy juice" and stayed in the stall.

She's much bigger bodied now, but she sure isn't as tall as I thought she'd be! Oh well. Smile
Back to top Go down
McShaneArabians
BRIGADIER GENERAL
BRIGADIER GENERAL
McShaneArabians

Female
Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Cute baby pic!...I love her markings!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.McShaneArabians.com
rachel_ariel
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Welcome! I would love any advice you can give me Smile
Back to top Go down
sparkleplenty
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
sparkleplenty

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Do you go to the Rantoul show in April? It's a Region 11 and 13 qualifier.
Back to top Go down
drlaura
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 11:13 pm

I haven't yet (and wont make it this year), but I plan to do it next year (once she's going solid undersaddle, I hate driving that far just for halter calsses).

I'm from NW of Chicago originally, so I always like going back to IL.
Back to top Go down
PJ
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Laura
Oh my gosh! I was behind this photo when it was taken. I was on the gulf cart and also was in the sweatshirt sales table the whole show. Mason. You go girl! Hope to see you back to this show and please come say hi at the the sweatshirt table or see me drag racing the gulf cart. I am camper cop there too. Wishing you much luck in 2009.
Back to top Go down
arabians4ever
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
arabians4ever

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 pm

drlaura wrote:
Her mom is older Egyptian/Crabbet? (lots of Ghalii, some Raffles, I'm not great at bloodlines yet). Her sire is a Dutch Warmblood (an Art Deco son).

I can fill you in a little bit about her pedigree - Ghalii. I'm back living in my birth state of TX but I grew up in Michigan. I was a kid when "Ghalii" came to Michigan State University.

Ghalii was a grey SE who was given to then US Sec. of Agriculture Benson by Anwar Sadat ruler of Egypt at the time. Benson was not allowed to keep such a gift but could not refuse it either as that would have been a huge insult to Sadat.

Prof. Byron Good was a renowned horseman at MSU and Benson knew of his work and love of the Arabian Horse. So, Benson gave Ghalli to MSU. Ghalii was truely undomesticated. To the best of my knowledge no one but Byron ever handled him. He was highly prized at MSU. Trust me, Ghalii was gorgeous!

A friend of mine in northern Michigan bred to a Ghalii son for years who was located in the Escanaba area. If any of you know Roger Johnson - Venture Farms in Pilot Point, TX - his family had a Ghalii son named Ghalii's Astronaut for many years.

I'm not aware of any Ghalii sons or grandsons these days. Ghalii was given to MSU about 50 years ago. Count your blessings to have a horse with Ghalii breeding. He was one gorgeous horse and my first impression of what an Arabian should look like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: drlaura from region 13 checking in   drlaura from region 13 checking in Empty

Back to top Go down

drlaura from region 13 checking in
Page 1 of 1