AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Welcome back
AMMY ARMY HEADQUARTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAVE NO ENTHUSIAST BEHIND!!!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe

Go down 
+4
rachel_ariel
newzew
simone_ck
audie
8 posters
AuthorMessage
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-12-02

SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe Empty
PostSubject: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi,
I finally got Mom to do this....I love food, especially treats. My favorite treat is anything with apples and/or peppermints. Sometimes Mom will take

1 cup rolled oats (boxed Quaker Oatmeal will also work)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup warm water
6 or 8 crushed peppermints (originally made with 4, but I love peppermint !!!)
1 chopped up apple (or carrot, or banana, or whatever you like)

Mix this up and dump it in the feed bucket....Yumm!!!!

Mom says that this was originally a bran mash concoction that her old horse liked, but it is faster to do it with oats for a quickie treat.

She also has a regular horse cookie recipe...she doesn't know where it came from, but it's not half bad either.

1 cup grated carrot
1 cup apple sauce
1/8 cup oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup sweet feed or oats
1 cup flour or oatmeal

Grease a cookie sheet. Heat oven to 350. Mix ingredients well and spread dough on cookie sheet about 1/2" thick. If you run a knife through the dough before you bake it you kind of pre-score it so that you can break it apart easier after it is cooked (it will sort of be like a big dog biscuit at that point). Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool and serve.

I am looking forward to taste testing - so share !!!! Audie
Back to top Go down
http://libertyequinesupply.com
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Some years ago when my grandmother had her 30th birthday, her people made her a birthday cake. Mom made a little cake for me one time and it was really tasty. She says that she "soaked" some alfalfa hay cubes in apple sauce for a little while, until the outside edges of the cubes were a little bit soft, but the cube itself was not. Then she put them in a tray and pushed the soft surfaces together, so that they made a somewhat solid cake shape. Then she mixed a little molasses with the leftover applesauce and used it as something called frosting and put carrot slices all over the top. Mmm-Mmm-Mmm. Audie
Back to top Go down
simone_ck
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
simone_ck

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 1:44 am

my Fame daughter loves twizlers, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.karsinarabians.com
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm

I once knew a cremello mare that was crazy over something called Peeps - go figure. Audie
Back to top Go down
newzew
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
newzew

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 10:52 pm

My horse goes nuts and rubs my pockets for "cattle cubes" that I buy at the feedstore. They're just those cylindrical feed pellets used for feeding cattle in the winter, but she thinks they're the greatest ever!

In fact, I can't even step out on the porch without hearing her say please (little soft nickers) for her cookies. It's way cool!
Back to top Go down
rachel_ariel
CORPORAL
CORPORAL

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 10:32 pm

hmm no recipe for Aries's fav treat...CARROTS lol
Back to top Go down
Ranyiah_86
LIEUTENANT
LIEUTENANT
Ranyiah_86

Female
Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 am

Ok so favorite treats. Well I do love apples but Mom makes this awsome breakfast or dinner however you look at it.

In it it has:

1 apple cubed and no seeds
6 baby carrots diced or just cut up
1 squash cut up and seeded
a handful of alfalfa cubes
1 qt of safe choice
1 cup of wheat bran
1 teaspoon of Molasses
1 pepperment candy cane

and enough hot water to soak and add a little cold water to cool it down

mmm I love it and I love rubbing it the other horses faces and on Mom's coat!
Back to top Go down
audie
MAJOR
MAJOR
audie

Female

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Ummm - sounds good - squash huh? Will have to try that. Hey mom...
Back to top Go down
cal91286
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
cal91286

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 4:39 pm

My first purebred arab LOVED sour cream and onion chips and funions(sp?) (even though he would have bad breath afterwards we still gave them to him) and peanuts he would actually flip his head around and get the shells out of his mouth. TOO CUTE!
Back to top Go down
tjmitcham
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
tjmitcham

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 2:31 pm

My old mare (QH) loves Pecans. She rolls them around in her mouth and then drops the shells out. I just have 1 tree on the place, so she does not let my arab gelding near the tree. She wants all the nuts.
Back to top Go down
Showhorse401
CORPORAL
CORPORAL
Showhorse401

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-10-29

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 am

My last horse loved to share Cliff bars with me, & he enjoyed leftover garlic bread too.

Years ago I had a broodmare who would come running if she heard you crinkle a pretzel bag.

A lot of old time KY Saddlebred trainers would feed horses unfiltered cigarettes as a treat, which may have been a holdover from the era when people wormed horses by feeding them tobacco leaves. Actually, putting a couple tobacco leaves in your tack trunk keeps your tack from getting moldy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.RacingandRiding.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe   SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe Empty

Back to top Go down

SHARE - Your Horse's Favorite Treat Recipe
Page 1 of 1